100 - 106 South Second (west side)
100 South Second Street (Kittleson & Co. Hardware Store)
100 South Second Street
This frame commercial vernacular building was erected in 1889 to house the Kittleson and Company hardware store (Village of Mount Horeb Tax Rolls, Wisconsin State Gazetteer and Business Directory). It is a Boomtown Front. It has asbestos siding and has a one-story front addition, but retains its false front with bracketed cornice. An early photo of this building on file in the Mount Horeb Historical Society shows that the original storefront had a central double-door entrance with a 2-pane-over-3-pane display window on either side, and paneled wood kick plates. At the second-story, there was Queen Anne-influenced decorative shingling, and the windows had corner blocks. Part of the front addition dates from circa 1949 (Hardware Age, March 23, 1950). From 1891 until 1893, the proprietors of the hardware store were listed as Isaac Kittleson, John Vilberg and (?) [Tom Syverud, p. 26 in Cent. book] Schneider [under picture on p. 33 in Cent. book, error?]. In 1895, the proprietors were Vilberg, Kittleson and Tome Syverud [crossed out]. This property was owned by Kittleson and Company from 1889 until 1893, by Kittleson and Vilberg from 1893 until 1896, by Thompson and Ward from 1896 until 1900, and Thompson and (Olaf) Hanson in 1900. The owner and hardware store operator was Olaf Hanson from 1901 until 1903. Hanson took Ludwig England as his partner from 1903 until 1906. Ludwig England bought out Hanson in 1906 and owned and operated the hardware store and the property from 1906 until 1916. He was succeeded by Henry Gier from 1916 until 1936, and by the Gilbertson Hardware Company from 1936 until closing in 1979. The Gilbertsons continued to own the building until at least 1985. The property was owned by Folklore Village in 1989, and by the Wisconsin Folk Museum in 1996. The Mount Horeb Area Historical Society acquired the property in 1996 (Village of Mount Horeb Tax Rolls). The Kittleson and Company Hardware Store is not individually eligible for historic designation, but is a contributing element in the potential National Register main Street Historic District and in the potential locally-designated Main Street Historic District.
102 South Second Street (Vernon Herman Bowling Alley) - demolished
102 South Second Street
This astylistic utilitarian brick building was erected for Vernon Herman in 1930 (Village of Mount Horeb Tax Rolls, Mount Horeb Presettlement to 1986, p. 25). It was built to house a bowling alley, a use that it still serves. The front of the building has been veneered with random coursed stone, which may or may not be original. This property was owned by Vernon Herman in 1930 and 1931, by Corella Herman (later Corella Cominsky) from at least 1935 until at least 1970, by Joseph Piquette in 1975, and by Curtis Chilson since at least 1980 (Village of Mount Horeb Tax Rolls). The Herman Building is not individually eligible for historic designation, but it is a contributing element in the potential National Register Main Street Historic District and in the potential National Register Main Street Historic District and in the potential locally-designated Main Street Historic District.
104 - 106 South Second Street (Mt. Horeb House Hotel)