100 - 111 South First Street
100 - 108 South First Street (State Bank of Mt. Horeb/U.S. Post Office)
100-108 South First Street
This contemporary building was built in 1992 to house the State Bank of Mt. Horeb and U.S. Post Office (building permit dated November 2, 1992). It occupies the entire block between South First, Grove, East Main and Front Streets. This block was the heart of New Town Mount Horeb when the railroad came to town in 1881. Ole Nuubson erected a store building in the southwest corner of East Main and South First Streets in 1885 (Blue Mounds Weekly News, October 4, 1885). Sever Swiggum bought the store area circa 1888, and operated it until selling the property to the bank circa 1902 (Wisconsin State Gazetteer and Business Directory). The building also housed the U.S. Post Office and a millinery during that time. The State Bank of Mount Horeb, also called Mount Horeb State Bank, was organized in May 1901. Dr. Niels C. Evans was president, Andrew Hoff was vice-president, and Walter Curtiss was cashier. The bank moved into the building in 1902, bought the property circa 1903, and built a new bank building in 1917. That building was replaced in 1967, and the latest bank building was completed in 1992. The post office is located in the south end of the current building. The State Bank of Mount Horeb is not eligible for historic designation.
111 South First Street (People's Mercantile Assoc. Store) - demolished
111 South First Street
This concrete block commercial vernacular building was erected in 1913 to house the People's Mercantile Association Store (Village of Mount Horeb Tax Rolls). In 1987, it was altered with vinyl siding and the window openings were reduced (building permit dated March 16, 1987). The People's Mercantile Association bought this site in 1900 from Martin Breum, and operated a general store here until 1920. Officers over time included L. Post (1901-11), Bennett Barton (1901-1917), P.R. Post (1901-11). Harvey Fargo (1913-17), John Hersig (1919-21) and James Malone (1919-21). The name of the business was changed to the Farmers' Store in 1921 and, by 1928, it was being operated as a department store. Lyle M. Kittleson was the manager of the Farmers Store from 1921 until 1949, when Alton Knudtson and Bill Thousand purchased the stock. They renamed the business the Farmers Market, but Kittleson owned the building and it remained a part of his estate as late as 1955. In 1950, Harold Churchill [bought] the business (The Mount Horeb Centennial Book, 1861-1961, p. 61). In 1961, Walter Kalscher bought the property and opened a grocery store in the building, which was in business until 1976 (Mount Horeb Presettlement to 1986, p 19). The property was owned by the People's Mercantile Association from 1900 through 1920, by the Farmers' Store from 1921 until at least 1950, by Lyle M. Kittleson and later his estate from at least 1955 until 1961. The property was owned by Walter Kalscheur from 1961 until 1976. It has been owned by Peter Riphahn since at least 1980 (Village of Mount Horeb Tax Rolls). The People's Mercantile Association Building is not individually eligible for historic designation, but is a noncontributing element in the potential National Register Main Street Historic District, and in the potentially locally-designated Main Street Historic District.