101 East Main - 117 East Main Street (south side)
101 - 103 East Main Street (A. Hoff Building)
101-103 East Main Street
This commercial vernacular brick building was erected to house the Andrew Hoff Company General Store in 1916-17 (datestone, Village of Mount Horeb Tax Rolls). It is a modern Broadfront and was designed by Madison architect Martin Schneider (WHIP survey card). The original storefronts are intact, including fine prism glass transoms. Andrew Hoff was born in Norway. He worked as a clerk for Ole Nuudson's store for several years. He formed a partnership with his brother-in-law, Adolph Elver, and bought the store and merchandize of Howard C. Elliott in 1887. Elliot and former partner Moulton had moved the old George Barrows store building from Old Town to this site in 1881, and had expanded into the former site of Pieh's meat market (just east) in 1886. In 1908, the Andrew Hoff Company incorporated, with Andrew Hoff as president and general manager, brother James Hoff as treasurer, and John B. Johnson as vice-president and secretary. In the mid-1920s, the name of the business was changed to the Hoff Company Department Store. In 1929, the Hoff Company bought the stock of rival Dahle Brothers Department Store, except the grocery. Lyle Johnson joined the business in 1934 and continued until it closed in 1984 (The Mount Horeb Centennial Book, 1861-1961,
p. 27, and Mount Horeb Presettlement to 1986, pp. 17-18). The property was owned by A. Hoff Company from at least 1908 until at least 1935, by Hoff's Store from at least 1940 until at least 1985, and by Hoff Associates since at least 1989 (Village of Mount Horeb Tax Rolls). The A. Hoff Company General Store was listed on the National Register in 1989, is individually eligible for designation as a Mount Horeb Historic Site, and is a contributing element in the potential National Register Main Street Historic District, and the potential locally-designated Main Street Historic District.
105 East Main Street (Mt. Horeb Bank I)
109 - 117 East Main Street (Mt. Horeb Opera House Block)