Notes: 1849 - 1961. The first school built in District 4 was constructed of logs on a single acre of the Knudt Bowerson’s farm in Section 23 in 1849. There were 27 pupils taught by Gunnel Jackson. This log building was also used by the Methodists and the Hauge Society for religious services. In 1865 a second, larger school was built a few rods South East of the log school. This school served the community until 1921-22 when a third, larger school was built to accommodate the influx of Swiss and Norwegian settlers. This time the school was built of brick and served as the school until it closed on May 29, 1961. Because of the quality of the construction in 1921, the building stands today as a private home at 8192 Community Road much as it might have appeared ninety years ago.
Higher quality reproductions of some of the MHAHS's images are available for a small fee - contact our Archives