Mt. Vernon / Britts SAW Mill
From "The Story of Primrose 1831-1895"
"At that time there were about a dozen pine trees, some of them over a foot in diameter, growing on the Mt. Vernon bluff, and were a beautiful sight. The Mt. Vernon saw mill, the first in that section, was built by George Britts in 1852, just between the present grist mill and the road. Mr. Britts, received the most of his help and his timbers from the farmers of Primrose."
From section "PIONEER RECOLLECTIONS — BY W. W. PATCHIN."
"The log school house in District No. 3 was replaced in 1858 by the building at present known as the Town Hall, which was built by Josephus Chandler and others at a cost of $400. Some of the lumber used was sawed at the Mt. Vernon Saw Mill. "
From "Centennial History, Township of Springdale, Dane County, Wisconsin : souvenir booklet, 1848-1948"
"In 1849 George Britts operated the first and only saw-mill in the township, but later we also had the Fargo Bros. operating a saw-mill on their own farm [ca 2-3 miles NW of Mt. Vernon], where people brought their logs to have them sawed into lumber for building purposes.
Higher quality reproductions of some of the MHAHS's images are available for a small fee - contact our Research Center.