Clontarf / Clantorf Post Office
In 1867 Patrick Carr open a store with a post office in Clantorf and became the postmaster. In 1882, after the train line came through Riley, the post office was moved to Riley.
From Wisconsin Post Office Handbook, revised edition No. 3, Frank Moertl, 1999, the name spelled "Clontarf" came from Clontarf County Dublin Ireland.
In both the Dept. of Interior, US Geological Survey Bulletin No. 310, 1905-1906, and Legislative Manual Wisconsin (Blue Book) 1869, it was spelled Clantorf. In 1870 the spelling was changed to Clontarf and stayed as such until it closed.
8183 County Rd. PD, near the junction of
County Rd. PD and J
Roadview and Map
Higher quality reproductions of some of the MHAHS's images are available for a small fee - contact our Archives