Diamond Cheese Factory
Operated: ca. 1888 - 1958
Cheesemakers: Art Foye, Champbell, Mason, Halsten Haugen, Henry Norslein, John Jerekovic, Chester Peterson, Emil L. Johnson (1928), Art Nelson, Jorgen Skalet, Ilif Kanable, Paul Kidd
Cheese Types: Block Swiss, American
Patrons: Henry Norslin, mgr. 1909; C. Paulson paid the taxes in 1935
Notes: Named for the diamond-shaped valley with this name- later called Vermont Valley
Razed. Built by John "Old man Braum" Braum. Torge Goderstad apprenticed with Henry Norslein. Black Earth PO 1898-1930.
From "The Town of Vermont - 'The Early Years'", Marian Swoboda: "located on the corner of State Highway 78 and Vermont Church Road, was built in about 1888 by John Braun. The first cheesemaker was Art Foye. Twelve other cheesemakers followed. At one time the factory had a milk truck that hauled milk for the farmers. Philip Skalet was the driver. The factory closed in 1958. The building served as a residence for several years until it was demolished to make room for the widening of Highway 78."
Higher quality reproductions of some of the MHAHS's images are available for a small fee - contact our Archives