Blue Mound / East Blue Mounds Post Office
Blue Mounds Township
Began in 1859 as Blue Mound (no "s") Post Office. Thomas Heeney was postmaster. It closed from 1866 - 1868 when it reopened with Oliver Kegg as postmaster. It closed in 1881.
Noted as Blue Mounds Post Office in section 10 on the Blue Mounds Township page of the 1861 plat map. However the 1861 page of Dane County shows the post office in section 8 near/on the Ebenezer Brigham farm.
By 1873 (see map to the right) both East and West Blue Mounds Post Offices are noted. In the 1877 Madison, Dane County and surrounding towns published by Wm. J. Park & Co., Blue Mounds had a post office as early as 1828. He goes on to say the there was never an East Blue Mounds Post Office. It was just called Blue Mounds Post Office. He also says that West Blue Mounds Post Office was in Iowa County.
It seems as if there was a post office at the corner of the Old Hwy 18/151 and Hwy. 78 S at the corner of section 10, 11 and 14,15 and one in the vicinity of the now village of Blue Mounds at the Dane County Iowa County border. At some point these two post offices combined into the Blue Mounds Post Office in the village of Blue Mounds. (See Blue Mounds Post Office for more details.)
Corner of County ID
(formerly Hwy 18/151) and Hwy. 78 S.
Road View and Map
Higher quality reproductions of some of the MHAHS's images are available for a small fee - contact our Archives