Elvers Post Office
In 1878 a post office was established by Charles Elver. The first postmaster was a Prussian named John Lohrs. He was not paid to handle the mail but his grocery and saloon business benefited from the extra patrons it brought to the store. Originally the mail came once a week but later it was picked up twice a week from Mount Horeb.
It closed in Sept. 1899 to reopened in Oct. 1899 with Fred Stucky postmaster. It closed for good in 1901. By 1911 the Mt. Horeb Post Office had RDF routes to serve the area.
There was a Vermont Post Office about a mile north in section 17 in 1867-1868 which probably served the same patrons.
N of the junction of County J and JJ
Higher quality reproductions of some of the MHAHS's images are available for a small fee - contact our Research Center.