Mt. Horeb Village
108 E. Main St.,
Mt. Horeb WI 53572
Miller Report on the Building History
Operated: 2/8/1927 - 1953
Buttermakers: Walter Evans, Walter Schmid (Schwartz -award winner) 1940
Notes: Butter sold in Evans "blue crocks". 1910 tax records show: Block 5 S46' of W2 of 2. BLOCK 1 , LOT 5,6,7,8 as Hersig & Eveans. M.E. Eveans b5 lot 1, half of 2. Mrs. Josie Evans managed after her hubands death until selling the business to Lodi Creamery in 1953.
From Elizabeth Miller's
"Mount Horeb, Wisconsin. An Intensive Survey of the Historic Resources of the Commercially-zoned Downtown"
110r East Main Street
This astylistic utilitarian building was erected for the Capital Dairy Creamery in 1920. It is constructed of roc-faced concrete blocks and retains its original multi-paned windows. Walter Evans bought it in 1927, and began manufacturing butter here on February 8, 1927. Following his death in 1946, his wife Josephine continued the business until 1953, when it was sold to the Lodi Creamery (Mount Horeb Presettlement to 1986, p. 20). The Capital Dairy Creamery is probably not individually eligible for historic designation, but it is a contributing element in the potential National Register Main Street Historic District, and the potential locally-designated Main Street Historic District.
Higher quality reproductions of some of the MHAHS's images are available for a small fee - contact our Research Center.