Greenwaldt Cheese Factory
9649 Greenwald Rd. Mt. Horeb WI 53572, just W of SH 78
Off site resources
Vermont Township History p.50
Operated: 1880-1890 - Mid. 1930's
Cheesemakers: Gottlieb Werren <1919; Carl Ampor, John Ampor, Fred Hofer, Werner Scheidegger (1928), John Wittwer, Fred Wittwer, Anton Kohler
Cheese Types: Brick, Swiss
Patrons: K.T. Kittleson; mgr.; Knut Stolen paid the taxes in 1935
Notes: Named for Henry Greenwaldt.
Biennial report of the Dairy and Food Commissioner of WI: also spelled Greenwald 1901, Greenwalt. Black Earth (Mt. Horeb) 1901, Mt. Horeb 1913, 1916, 1922, 1930, RD 1 1909.
Wisconsin Historical Society, Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory-Architectural Style: Other Vernacular.
From "The Town of Vermont - 'The Early Years'", Marian Swoboda: "was built between 1880 – 1890 on Greenwald Road just off Highway 78. It was named after Henry Greenwald. On a certain day farmers would gather to saw wood for wintertime fuel. Some of the cheesemakers were Carl and John Ampor, Fred Hofer, Werner Sheidegger, John and Fred Wittwer and Anton Kohler. The factory closed down in the early 1930’s, later becoming a residence."
Higher quality reproductions of some of the MHAHS's images are available for a small fee - contact our Research Center.