Holy Redeemer Catholic Church
Notes: A cluster of German settlers formed in the eastern part of the Town of Perry. It was difficult for them to attend church in the 1850s and often long trips on foot or by oxen were necessary to attend church at Cross Plains or at Pine Bluff.
In 1859, after one of these early settlers had to walk 26 miles to get a priest to administer the last rights for Caroline (Post) Keller, and then the family had to transport her body back to Madison for burial. Spring Valley Catholic settlers organized as San Salvador Church of the Holy Redeemer. By 1861 the 29 families of the congregation had raised enough money ($618) to build themselves a church.
In the early days a priest came about once a month to say Mass and administer the sacraments. In 1895 members took turns alphabetically escorting the priest to and from Cross Plains or Pine Bluff.
In 1915, the congregation voted to build a new church and the red brick building was completed in the fall of 1916. Merged with St. Ignatius in Mt. Horeb.
Higher quality reproductions of some of the MHAHS's images are available for a small fee - contact our Archives