Kelly Hill Cheese Factory
Operated: <1922 - >1941
Cheesemakers: John Zwald, Simon Zwald, Otto Urben (1913); Gottfried and Leana Bigler
Cheese Types: Brick, Swiss, cheddar
Patrons: Herman Henkel, Mgr. 1908, Ed Erickson, Carl Messerschmidt (1913 owner), C. Bringgold, M. Marty, Wm. Kollath, Ray Baird, H. Riggi, H. Jones, H. Lust, John Herman, Wm. O'Connor, K. Murkey, Mrs. Braeder. Alvin Luct paid taxes in 1935
Notes: Used Kaestner-Henze Cheese Warehouse as wholesale distributor. April 20, 1945 letter from War Food Administration acknowledging the receipt of the cheese factory's reply to a solution to "overproduction of restricted cheese" - War Food Order 92, saying “they will make cheddar in the second quarter”.
Biennial report of the Dairy and Food Commissioner of WI: also spelled Kelley Hill. 1906 Mt. Vernon PO, in Springdale, 8mi SW of Vernon. Carl Messerschmi, mgr. Mt. Vernon PO 1906; Mt. Horeb 1913, 1916, RD 6 1909, 1922 as Kelley Hill; Riley PO 1930.
A factory was located on Kollath Rd. (Plat map image 1911) which now appears to be an extension of Kelly Hill Rd.
Higher quality reproductions of some of the MHAHS's images are available for a small fee - contact our Archives