Klevenville / Bluff Post Office
This was originally known as Bluff Post Office in 1882 with Albert K. Lorenson as the postmaster. The name was changed to Klevenville Post Office in 1891.
In 1890 a grocery store/post office was built and run by Mr. and Mrs. George Swenson. Inger Swenson, the daughter of the Klevens, became the postmistress until 1941. Afterward Mrs. Peter Riphahn continued until 1952 when the post office closed.
Wisconsin Post Office Handbook, revised edition No. 3, Frank Moertl. 1999 states the "Pine Bluff" post office opened in 1846 with George P. Thompson as postmaster in SE4 of Section 33 about one mile north of Klevenville where he had a store. It is hard to know if this is the same post office known as "Bluff" in 1882 or if it became the "Pine Bluff" post office in what is now known as Pine Bluff in Cross Plains Township. (bottom map)
Higher quality reproductions of some of the MHAHS's images are available for a small fee - contact our Research Center.