Lead Mine Cheese Factory
Blue Mounds Township
2565 CTH Z (at CTH F),
Blue Mounds WI 53517
Off site resource
Road View and Map
Operated: <1906 - >1930
Cheesemakers: Henry Hoesly, Sr. (ca. 1907), Jacob Erb who won "Diploma of Excellence" from the International Dairy Show Asso. in Milwaukee for drum Swiss cheese 1912; Frank Ryser, Werner Ryser
Cheese Types: Brick, Swiss
Patrons: C.R. Collins, T.C. Smith, W.J. Helmerstine, Ed Christopher, Ole Topper, Torval Topper, August Eckel, Art Wilson, Wm. Thousand, Casper Bergen, Owen Trainor, Ed Anderson, Werner Ryser, R. Gerber, S. Murph, Stiner Swenson, W. Richard, P. Olson, O. Thompson, et al.
Notes: Named for the numerous lead mines in the area. A new house was built on old foundation, some of foundation stones used for the wall in the front yard. Built on Charles R. Collins farm.
Biennial report of the Dairy and Food Commissioner of WI: Blue Mounds PO 1906, 1909, 1913, 1916, 1922, 1930.
Higher quality reproductions of some of the MHAHS's images are available for a small fee - contact our Research Center.