Lee and Holum Feed Mill
Operated: <>1900 - 1976
The Andrew Lee and Andrew Holum feed mill was built around the turn of the century near the railroad tracks in the 200 block of Front Street. Around 1915 they built a shed to store the grains just north of the railroad tracks.
Around 1925 Maurice Rude bought out Andrew Lee and it became the Holum and Rude Feed Mill. Lloyd Robinson then bought out Andrew Holum in 1936 and the Rude and Robinson Feed Mill remained until 1957 when Rude sold his share to Robinson. It remained the Robinson Feed Mill until 1976 when he retired.
The buildings have all been demolished.
There are some discrepancies between the Miller Report (below) and the above narrative.
"This side-gabled frame building was probably built in 1918 as a grain warehouse for the (Andrew) Lee & (Andrew) Holum feed mill (Sanborn-Perris Map of Mount Horeb; Village of Mount Horeb Tax Rolls). It was part of the Lee and Holum feed mill from about 1918 until 1925, when it became (Andrew) Holum and (Maurice) Rude feed mill. In 1936, Lloyd Robinson bought out Andrew Holum's interest, and the business became Rude and Robinson. In 1957, Maurice Rude sold his interest to Robinson (Village of Mount Horeb Tax Rolls). Robinson retired in 1976 (Mount Horeb Presettlement to 1986, p. 71). This shed is the only building remaining from the feed mill. The property was owned by Lee and Holum from 1918 through 1924, by Rude Brothers from 1925 until 1936, by Rude and Robinson from 1936 until 1957, by Lloyd Robinson from 1957 until at least 1965, by Mounds Agriculture Service in 1970.
Around 1905 when Lee and Holum were the owners, they purchased the electric plant from John Ward and John Bohn and moved it to this property which became called Farm Utility."
201 W Front Street
Higher quality reproductions of some of the MHAHS's images are available for a small fee - contact our Research Center.