Malone / Springdale / Vernon Valley
2045 SH 92. Mt. Horeb WI 53572
Off site resources
Road View and Map
Operated: 1882 - 1957
Cheesemakers: Schaller, G. Gammeter, Carl Amport, Otto and Elsie Bendicks with Bruno Schrade (hired man), Fred Erb (1913), Godfred Gometer, Eddie and Elsie Loeffel.
Cheese Types: Brick, Swiss
Patrons: L. Bang estate, E. Mauer, Donald Woodburn, A.S. Docken Mrs. Milo Aslakson, Nels Docken estate, G. Eggimann, J. Haakness. Vona Donal paid the taxes in 1935. Ed Lewis (1913 owner), J.A. Malone, Ed Lewis, Otto Shutvet, Alva Lust, Albert Kobbervig, John Marty, Fargo Bros., Adolph Sutter, Sever Brustoun, Rudolph Schwartz.
Notes: Started by John L. Malone, Michael Johnson, Carl Hesse, Ole Thompson as first Swiss Cheese factory in Springdale Township. Later J.S. Donald, Louis Dahl and Ed Lewis became shareholders. Building made with limestone from Malone quarry. In Jan. 1902 this became Springdale Cheese Company, 5/25/1925 Vernon Valley Cheese Factory, 3/23/1929 back to Malone Cheese Factory.
Biennial report of the Dairy and Food Commissioner of WI: Ed. Lewis mgr. Springdale PO 1896, Mt. Horeb 1901, 1906, 1913, 1916, 1922, 1930, RD 2 1909
These photographs are from Bonita Loeffel, the daughter of the last cheesemaker Edward and Elsie Loeffel, who bought the factory when it closed and lived there for over 35+ years.
Higher quality reproductions of some of the MHAHS's images are available for a small fee - contact our Research Center.