Methodist Episcopal Church
Pastors: Rev. J. T. Pryor and was attached to the Black Earth circuit.
Notes: The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized November 7, 1854. In June of 1866, Nathan H. Dryden and his wife deeded two and a half acres of land at the northwest corner of what is today the Union Cemetery for the location of a church. Stone was donated and sand from area farms and the lumber hauled from Black Earth. The building was completed in late 1866. The building had a tall bell tower and very high stone foundation.
The basement of this building served as a community hall. Classes met there during the building of the new school house, and the Lutherans held their services and Sunday School there until their church was erected in 1886. The building was also used for the weekly singing school led by B. F. Rogers and for socials, debates, lectures, spell-downs, school entertainments, home talent plays and Christmas programs. At the close of the Civil War night classes for returned soldiers were offered. Many organizations also used the building.
Services continued in the building even after the rail road came in 1881 and business places moved near the depot. But, in 1904 a new Methodist Church building was erected uptown. The “Old Town” building but not the site was sold to the Bethel Hauge Lutheran Church which held services there until its merger with Evangelical Lutheran. The Mount Horeb Hardware Company bought the old building to salvage the lumber.
Higher quality reproductions of some of the MHAHS's images are available for a small fee - contact our Research Center.