Pine Bluff Creamery and Cheese Factory
Operated: <1902 - 1960
Cheesemakers: John Greve. E. Macksey 1902 in creamery
Cheese Types: Brick
Patrons: Joseph Birrenkott, Jacob Kalscher, John Frank, John Krantz, Frank Haack
Notes: Started as a creamery, razed in 1960. Location now a bar.
Biennial report of the Dairy and Food Commissioner of WI: Pine Bluff Creamery 1902, Pine Bluff Cheese Prod. Asso., Cross Plains PO 1927, 1932.
Anton Sutter, Sun Prairie, operator 1932. "In 1919, an adjoining portion of the earlier Kalscheur property on which John Peter Kalscheur had began operating the Pine Bluff Creamery in the 1870s was then owned by Peter Olson. He sold the property that year to the Pine Bluff Cheese Producing Company for $1,900. (the land is now the present parking lot of Morgan's bar and restaurant). When Mineral Point Road was widened in 1960, the expansion would have consumed a portion of the cheese factory, so the old building --reportedly of stone construction -- was torn down."
Higher quality reproductions of some of the MHAHS's images are available for a small fee - contact our Archives