Anderson Brothers / Pleasant Spring
across from 4017 CTH JJ
Off site resources
Road View and Map
Operated: ca. 1883 - early 1920's
Cheesemakers: Sever Amble
Cheese Types: American
Patrons: Anderson Brothers, mgrs. 1909.
Notes: Razed. The foundation is still visible. Closed when Beath Valley Cheese Factory opened.
Biennial report of the Dairy and Food Commissioner of WI: Anderson Cheese Factory Mt. Horeb RD 5 1906. Pleasant Spring Cheese Factory, Anderson Bros., mgr. Black Earth 1909, 1913, 1917, 1922, RD 2 1910. In 1896 report there is a "Pleasant Valley Cheese Factory" listed as well as Keleher (which was renamed Pleasant Valley by 1930). Could this be a typo for Pleasant Spring?
From "The Town of Vermont - 'The Early Years'", Marian Swoboda: "on the Anderson Brothers’ farm across the road from the Sandridge School on County Highway JJ might have started around 1883. It is known that children attend the Sandridge School would sometimes go over to the factory at noon to eat curd if it was ready. The first cheese maker was Sever Amble. The building is still standing. Notice the entrance to the cheese cellar as you drive by."
Higher quality reproductions of some of the MHAHS's images are available for a small fee - contact our Archives