Schlick Sorghum Mill
Operated: ca 1914-1919
From "The Town of Vermont History"
"Otto Schlick opened a sorghum mill with equipment he bought from Charlie Lindstrom from Mazomaine. His daughter Lille recalled how hard the work was to process the cane. The cane was planted and hoed all by hand. The tops were removed to make it sweeter. The leaves were "stripped" off using a toll called a lath. The cane was then cut with a corn knife again by hand. It was then hauled to the mill in a wagon.
The mill was comprised of 4 - 5 large pans, a roller and firewood. The roller squeezed the juice from the stalks which were then discarded. The sap was put in the pans and cooked to evaporate some of the liquid. When it weighed a certain amount it was transferred to the next pan. Eventually it reached the proper texture.
The women cooked for the crew, the children carried water, wood and hauled away the stalks.
A second sorghum mill run by Art Soper was located near the St. James Church on County Truck F in section 29."
County Trunk F
Higher quality reproductions of some of the MHAHS's images are available for a small fee - contact our Research Center.