SMITH & bRITTS Mill
Operated: 1858 - 1887
Edward Britts and Charles Smith built a grist mill in the summer of 1858 along the West Branch of the Sugar River in the NW4 of Sect. 8. This mill was within about 5 miles of the Mt. Vernon Mill which had been built by Philander Byam in 1852.
From "The Story of Primrose 1831-1895"
"In the summer of this year  was built the Britts' Mill (section 8), by Ed. Britts and Charles Smith. It was built of stone, provided with ponderous wooden wheels, and was a popular resort in its day. In the early eighties the wooden wheels were replaced with a turbine water wheel and improved machinery by C. W. Karn. One night in September, 1887, while in possession of Nick Hentgen, the mill was burnt to the ground, doubtless by incendiarism. The walls still stand but no attempt has been made to rebuild it."
In December of 1887, after the Smith & Britts' fire earlier in the year, Nick Hentgen became the miller at the Mt. Vernon Mill.
1852 Philander Byam builds Mt. Vernon Mill
1858 Smith and Britts build their mill with Nick Hentgen as miller
Sept. 1887 Smith and Britts Mill burns
Dec. 1887 Nick Hentgen becomes miller in Mt. Vernon
1897 Mt. Vernon Mill is sold to William Koch and sons
Higher quality reproductions of some of the MHAHS's images are available for a small fee - contact our Research Center.