120 South First Street (Eggun & Johnson lumberyard/Mt. Horeb Fire Station No. 1)
120 South First Street
This contemporary building was erected [remodeled] as Mount Horeb Fire Station No. 1 in 1992. This is the former site of the Eggum and Johnson lumber yard. Lovejoy and Richards, a Janesville firm, erected a lumber yard on this site in 1881. The Lovejoy and Richards lumber yard was purchased by three local men in 1897; (Andrew) Thompson, (Gabriel) Mickelson and (?) Halferdahl operated the lumber yard from 1897 until 1900. Thompson and Mickelson were brothers-in-law. Halferdahl sold out his interest in 1900, and the firm was Thompson and Mickelson until 1904. Gabriel Mickelson became sole owner in 1904, and continued to operate the lumber yard until 1912. In 1912, (Herman) Eggum, (Casper) Haag and (Adolph) Johnson bought the business. Haag sold out his interest in 1922 (The Mount Horeb Centennial Book, 1861-1961, p. 51), and the business continued as Eggum and Johnson until 1978. Peter Riphan [Riphahn] bought a half-interest in the company in 1975, and purchased the other half in 1978 (The Mount Horeb Centennial Book, 1861-1961, p. 14). The Village of Mount Horeb purchased this property in 1991, razed [remodeled] the lumber yard buildings, and constructed the fire station in 1992. The Fire Station is not eligible for historic designation.
130 South First Street (Mt. Horeb Farmers Co-op Feed Mill)
130 South First Street
This astylistic utilitarian building was constructed as the Mount Horeb Farmers Co-operative Feed Mill in 1948, with a large addition dating from 1959 (Village of Mount Horeb Tax Rolls). The Farmers Co-op was formed in 1945. The Co-op's first activity was to merchandise farm supplies, which they did in the building at 102 East Lincoln Street (extant). This building was erected in 1948 for storing and grinding livestock feed (Mount Horeb Presettlement to 1986, p. 28). The Mount Horeb Co-op Feed Mill is not eligible for historic designation.