North Side West Main Street: 404W - 408W
404 West Main Street (Philip Kably House)
404 West Main Street
This frame Foursquare house was erected for Philip Kably in 1910 (Village of Mount Horeb Tax Rolls). It features a full-facade front porch with Doric columns, turned balusters, and a shingled triangular dormer. This property was owned by Philip Kably from 1910 until his death circa 1915, when it passed to his estate. The property remained a part of his estate until at least 1920. It was owned by Mary Kably from at least 1925 until at least 1930, was foreclosed upon by the Mount Horeb Bank circa 1935, was owned by Kenneth and Elvira Kellogg from at least 1940 until at least 1975, and by Leslie and Phyllis Johnson since at least 1980 (Village of Mount Horeb Tax Rolls).
The Kably House is probably individually eligible for designation as a Mount Horeb Historic Site as a fine and intact Mount Horeb Foursquare.
406 West Main Street (Torten Thompson House)
406 West Main Street
This frame Foursquare house was erected for Thosten Thompson in 1911 (Village of Mount Horeb Tax Rolls). It retains good integrity, and features a leaded glass cottage window, and a wrap-around porch with cast concrete block piers, fluted Composite columns, and turned balusters. This property was owned by Thosten Thompson from 1911 until his death circa 1935, by Roy Finke in 1940, by Trygve Thorsen [Thoresen] from at least 1941 until at least 1965, by William Lehner from at least 1970 until at least 1975, and by Russell and Loretta Docken from at least 1980 until at least 1985. In 1996, it was owned by Ed and Pauline Swailes (Village of Mount Horeb Tax Rolls). In 1941, Mr. and Mrs. Trygve Thoresen opened the house to tourists, and called the home, the Norway House (The Mount Horeb Centennial Book, 1861-1961, p. 58). The Thompson House is probably not individually eligible for Mount Horeb Site designation.
408 West Main Street (Richard Johnson House)
408 West Main Street
This simple contemporary frame house was built for Richard Johnson in 1946 (Village of Mount Horeb Tax Rolls). It is very plain, and appears to have been altered. The property was owned by Richard Johnson from 1946 until at least 1950, by Walter Schmid from at least 1955 until at least 1965, by Celia Hull from at least 1970 until at least 1980, and by Gerald and Elynor O'Brien since at least 1985 (Village of Mount Horeb Tax Rolls). The Johnson House is not individually eligible for historic designation.