Mickelson/Savery Cheese Factory
Operated: ca. 1882 - middle 1930's
Cheesemakers: Fred Feller; Gottfried and Leana Bigler ca. 1912, Fred Wenger (1928)
Cheese Types: Swiss, block Swiss, brick, limburger
Patrons: Morton Mickelson
Notes: Biennial report of the Dairy and Food Commissioner of WI: Mikkleson in 1922 Cheese Report. M. Michelson in 1898. Riley PO 1909, 1913. Also known as Savery or Sevre (Old Savery Farm- see 1890 plat) Cheese Factory. Elvers PO 1898, 1903, Black Earth (Vermont) 1901, Mt. Horeb 1906, 1909, 1913, RD 1 1916, 1922, 1930.
Wisconsin Historical Society, Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory- Architectural Style: Other Vernacular. Wall Material: Wood.
From "The Town of Vermont - 'The Early Years'", Marian Swoboda: "on County Highway J on Section 26 was the first to open in 1882. Fred Feller was one of the first cheese makers. The factory made Swiss, brick and limburger cheese. In order to have fuel for the boiler, each farmer had to furnish one large load of pole wood for every cow he had. The factory closed in the middle 1930’s. It is now a family home."
Higher quality reproductions of some of the MHAHS's images are available for a small fee - contact our Research Center.