Scotch Presbyterian Church
Notes: It was on January 16, 1847, that a group of individuals met at the Badger Mills near Verona and a Presbyterian Church was organized. The Presbyterians built a place of worship in 1861 at a cost of $1,100. The structure was in the Greek Revival style and was located on what today is present Highway G, and near the intersection of Sugar River Road, also known as Scotch Lane for the numbers of Scottish people that settled in the area. As settlers moved nearer to Verona Corners, the church building was abandoned. The church was torn down and the lumber was used to build a barn on the George Orives farm on what is now the Half Mile Road. The barn was destroyed by fire several years after its construction. A pulpit chair, church records and the sermons and items related to its first minister, Rev. James Donald are in the holdings of the Mount Horeb Area Historical Society.
Higher quality reproductions of some of the MHAHS's images are available for a small fee - contact our Archives