Vermont Lutheran Church
Operated: 1856 - present
Notes: The first recorded meeting of Vermont Lutheran Church was held September 27, 1855. Services were held in the village of Black Earth. On December 20, 1858, at a congregational meeting in Black Earth a committee was elected to determine the place where a church building could be constructed. The first building was a former log school house that was moved by twenty teams of oxen from Black Earth on January 25, 1860. A new frame church was constructed during 1862-63. By 1908 many members felt the old church building was too small and a committee was formed to look into the matter. Work was begun in 1913 on a spacious brick building and it was dedicated in 1914.
Higher quality reproductions of some of the MHAHS's images are available for a small fee - contact our Research Center.