West Blue Mounds Lutheran Church
Operated: 10/6/1880 to present
Pastors: Adolf Bredesen, 1879-1882; Peter Isberg, 1882-1884; O.P. Syftestad, 1884-1890; Henrick Voldal, 1890-1903; Helge Havenstad, 1903-1908; Otto Mostrom, 1908-1917; E. R. Anderson 1917-1957; Raymond Mehl 1957-1960; Robert E. Twiton 1961-1991; Dennis O’Brien 1991-1999; Lil Buluska 1993-1999 (part-time); Doug Locken 1999-2001
Notes: The West Blue Mounds Church has its beginnings during the settlement period when the area was called the Blue Mounds Settlement which consisted of a large group of Norwegians. The West Blue Mounds congregation started to build their own church in 1881, and it was completed in 1882. The chancel of the church and the steeple were built in 1892. The cast bronze bell weighing 797 pounds in the steeple was purchased in 1892. In 1919 the minutes of the church began being written in English rather than Norwegian. In 1925 the church basement was built and the following year lights were installed. In 1950 the interior stairway was built. New stain glass windows were installed in 1959. In 1967, the front steps of the building were removed and a new entry was built.
Higher quality reproductions of some of the MHAHS's images are available for a small fee - contact our Archives