225 East Main & 101 South Third (west side)
225 East Main Street (Myrland Brothers Station/Mobil Station)
225 East Main Street
In 1924, Andrew Lee installed two gasoline pumps at the northeast corner of this site. In 1926, he sold the north end of the lot to the Myrland Brothers, and the south end plus the building that then stood on the site to Carl Wittwer. Wittwer moved the old building to its current site at 100 South Third Street. The Myrland Brothers built a service station on the north end of the lot (Village of Mount Horeb Tax Rolls; Sanborn-Perris Map of Mount Horeb). The eastern, diagonally-placed section of this astylistic utilitarian building is that early Myrland Brothers station. Mobil Oil Company built a large addition to the Myrland Brothers station in 1953 (Village of Mount Horeb Tax Rolls; Mount Horeb Presettlement to 1986, p. 86). The Myrland Brothers Service Station was on this site from 1926 until 1953. It was a Mobil Service Station from 1953 until 1990 (Mount Horeb Presettlement to 1986, p. 25; telephone directories). Prior to the service station, the frame building now at 100 South Third Street (which see) stood on this site. This property was owned by Myrland Brothers from 1926 until at least 1945, by Howard Myrland from at least 1950 until 1953, by Mobil Oil Corporation from 1953 until at least 1975, and by Wesley Field since at least 1980. The Myrland Brothers/Mobil Service Station is not individually eligible for historic designation, and is a noncontributing element in the potential locally-designated Main Street Historic District.
100 South Third Street (Lars Wekkund House)
100 South Third Street
This frame commercial vernacular building was built for Iver Lund in 1891 to house his general store (Village of Mount Horeb Tax Rolls). It is a Boomtown Front. The building retains very good integrity and shows the influence of the Italianate style in the bracketed cornice, pedimented false front and the second-story window hood moldings. This building originally stood at 225 East Main Street, just north of its current location. There, it housed Iver Lund's general store from 1891 until 1905 (Village of Mount Horeb Tax Rolls, Wisconsin State Gazetteer and Business Directory). Gustaf Benson and Andrew Lee may have sold agricultural implements in the building in 1905. Andrew Benson, and later his estate, owned the property from 1906 until 1914. Wolf and Max Feldman owned the property from 1915 until 1920 (Village of Mount Horeb Tax Rolls). Elmer Hogan and Gilbert Gilbertson has at least part of their auto dealership, later called the Mount Horeb Auto Company, here from 1915 until 1917 (Mount Horeb Presettlement to 1986, p. 23, Sanborn-Perris Map of Mount Horeb). The property was owned by Edgar Krohn, and housed the Krohn Brothers meat market, from at least 1920 until at least 1923. Andrew Lee bought the property in 1924, and may have used the building as a gas station. In 1926, the building was sold to Carl Wittwer, who moved it a few yards to this spot, and turned it to face Third Street (Village of Mount Horeb Tax Rolls). Carl Wittwer then opened a meat market and produce store in the building (Wisconsin State Gazetteer and Business Directory), which was in business until 1935. A series of meat markets were located in the building thereafter. Louise Weineke (and later her estate) owned the property from 1935 until at least 1945, and Hartwig Langfoss owned it in 1950. The American Legion Frank E. Malone Post (Number 113) has owned the building since at least 1955, and leased it for several years before converting it into their club house (Village of Mount Horeb Tax Rolls, The Mount Horeb Centennial Book, 1861-1961, p. 74). The Lund General Store is probably individually eligible for designation as a Mount Horeb Historic Site as a good and fairly intact example of a boomtown front commercial vernacular building, and is a contributing element in the potential locally-designated Main Street Historic District.
The Frank E Malone Post Number 113 of the American Legion was formed in September 1919. The American Legion had organized in St. Louis earlier in 1919, and was being promoted throughout the country. The first local commander was Otto G. Gesme. The American Legion had a long history of civic and charitable works in the village, including the sponsorship of Fourth of July celebrations, raising money for disabled veterans and their families, helping beautify parks and highways, and assisting in military funerals. In July 1921, a local chapter of the American Legion Auxiliary was organized, consisting of the mothers, sisters, and wives of American Legion members. The Auxiliary cooperates with the American Legion on many projects. In 1930, the Frank E. Malone Post dedicated a memorial monument with a flagpole in the Mount Horeb Union Cemetery. Meetings were held in the Opera House at 109-117 East Main Street (extant) until 1960. In 1961, the Legion and the Auxiliary met in the Municipal Building at 138 Main Street (extant) (The Mount Horeb Centennial Book, 1861-1961, pp. 51, 74).