SAMUEL Lattimer-Charles Elver's MILL
From Vermont, a community history written in 1977; pages 7, 9 and 10
Operated: ca. 1847- >1878
"Immediately after his arrival, Mr. Lattimer built a saw mill on Section 21. Mr. Lattimer operated the saw mill until 1865, when he sold the property to S. Goodell and J.B. Kehl. The repaired the building and converted it into a grist mill, putting in two run of stone*. In 1876 the mill passed to Charles Elver who added another run of stone."
In 1877 John Lohrs built "a two-story frame store and hotel" opposite the mill.
On "September 14, 1878, [Elver] got the post office established and named Elvers..."
* diverted water ways leading from the pond to the mills wheel or turbine
Higher quality reproductions of some of the MHAHS's images are available for a small fee - contact our Research Center.