Mount Horeb Westside SCHOOL
Mount Horeb Village
110 South Second Street
District: Joint 1
Notes: The school complex built on the north side of West Main Street began as a one-roomed brick school in 1884; Miss M. Maynard was the first teacher. In 1887 this building was enlarged to 3 rooms (building on the left above). With a need for more classroom space, a new two-story building was built east of this building in 1889. Later a second story was added to the first building. These two building were used until 1919. In 2002, the 1889 school building was moved from its original location to North Second Street to be used as part of a historic park. The original, and later expanded school building, is no longer present.
Higher quality reproductions of some of the MHAHS's images are available for a small fee - contact our Research Center.