Mt. Horeb Co-Operative Creamery and Cheese Factory
Ryser Cheese Factory
Mt. Horeb Village
105 S. 2nd. St., Mt. Horeb WI 53572
Miller Report on the Building History
Off site resources
Road View and Map
Operated: 1916 (at this location) - May 8, 1991
Cheesemakers: 1903-1955 Otto Olson buttermaker, 1916 Herbert E. Griffin buttermaker. 1940's Paul Ramshire cheesemaker, Les Kahl buttermaker. Ken Schumacher, Norman Christianson (1980's), Bill Lehner to closing
Cheese Types: Swiss, American, Aromadelle, Pallatella, butter. Cheese-Namely, Natural Cheese, Processed Cheese, Cheese Spread, Cold Pack Cheese Foods and Cheese Analogs (Cheese Substitutes)
Notes: Began in Old Town Feb. 1879 by Anton O. Bakken (see Mt. Horeb Creamery), later moved to 8th St. 1901 incorporated as Mt. Horeb Cooperative Creamery and Cheese Co, James Reilly Pres., Lewis Eggum Sec./Tres. 1910 Leever? Eggum, Tres. In 1916 moved to new brick building on S. 2nd St. In 1933 expanded into a new building to make round Swiss cheese which opened Mar. 15, 1934. Newspaper article states that Albert J. Baker pres. and manager when sold at public auction to Adolph & Werner Ryser. [In History of Mt. Horeb Rysers bought factory in 1945]. 1900- to at least 1902 Schmidt, mgr.
Wisconsin Historical Society, Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory- Architectural Style: Boomtown. Wall Material: Cream Brick. Bavarian look 1/2 timbered entry added in 1979. Brickwork details. Architectural Style: Neoclassical.
In 1916, the Mount Horeb Creamery and Cheese Company constructed a brick building on the corner of South Second Street and Front Street on the former site of the Herman Dahie Ice House (now site of Grumpy Troll Brewery). Most of the dairy farmers in the area were patrons and hauled milk to the creamery in horse drawn wagons. Over time, the company expanded, and a new building next door enabled the production of Swiss cheese. Over 30,000 pounds of milk were processed each day. In 1945, the building was sold to the Ryser Brothers Cheese Company who manufactured cheese in this location for over 40 years. When the business closed, the building sat vacant for several years.
Higher quality reproductions of some of the MHAHS's images are available for a small fee - contact our Research Center.